Project license vs LGPL

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Hello,

I work for a company who is interested in using the Agility Pack for a website parser, but I'm a bit unsure about the licensing terms.  If I create a parser using the agility pack, will it have to be covered by the agility pack license as well?  I.e., is the license similar to GPL or LGPL?
I'd really like to use this nice software :)

Alexander
Jul 18, 2008 at 7:04 PM
We have the same concern. The Creative Commons license was designed for music, pictures, etc and so it doesn't really fit for software. But as written, it arguably requires that if you use it in a program, you must make that entire program available for others. Needless to say, that's a problem.

Any chance of also offering it under LGPL or MPL? There is a good discussion of why these two licenses are preferable for open source at http://itext.ugent.be/library/question.php?id=13

thanks - dave
Aug 5, 2008 at 3:53 PM
I was about to post the same thing so glad to see it already brought up. I would like to use this project but the license is a problem. Technicaly to comply with this license you would have to have an attribution link on every single site that uses it. This is not an acceptable requirement. I would like to use this in mojoportal (http://www.mojoportal.com) but I cannot do it because of this license. mojoPortal is licensed under the Common Public License and I don't wish to push this attribution requirment onto all the users of mojoportal. Its just not workable.

Please please please make this project more useful by changing to LGPL or MPL.

Best Regards,

Joe Audette
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Hi, joeaudette.

What thing did you ment?

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM, joeaudette <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I was about to post the same thing so glad to see it already brought up. I would like to use this project but the license is a problem. Technicaly to comply with this license you would have to have an attribution link on every single site that uses it. This is not an acceptable requirement. I would like to use this in mojoportal (http://www.mojoportal.com) but I cannot do it because of this license. mojoPortal is licensed under the Common Public License and I don't wish to push this attribution requirment onto all the users of mojoportal. Its just not workable.

Best Regards,

Joe Audette

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (htmlagilitypack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email htmlagilitypack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:14 AM
Hmm..I am not understand what did you meant. I post a topic about Agility Pack where I found that some class havenot a method Capacity which set up a capacity of array...

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:54 AM, kosya4ok <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi, joeaudette.

What thing did you ment?

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM, joeaudette <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Best Regards,

Joe Audette

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (htmlagilitypack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email htmlagilitypack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM
Hi,

I just asked Simon about license. His answer was:

The Html Agility Pack can be use for whatever you want, commercial / not commercial, open source / closed source.

Basically, the license is the same as “license for samples”, do whatever you want with it, but don’t come to me if you have any problem.

I mean I don’t provide sHTMLupport, and cannot be taken as responsible for any problem you may face J

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM

I changed the licence recently to a more simple one :)

May 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM
I'm sorry but we wrote our own quite a while ago because of the old license.

thanks - dave

Sent: Mon 5/18/2009 12:56 AM
To: David Thielen
Subject: Re: Project license vs LGPL [htmlagilitypack:30912]

I changed the licence recently to a more simple one :)

Read the full discussion online <http://htmlagilitypack.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30912&ANCHOR#Post191335> .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <mailto:[email removed]?subject=[htmlagilitypack:30912]> )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe <http://www.codeplex.com/site/discussions/thread/unsubscribe/30912> on codePlex.com.