Why wouldn't HtmlNode descend from XmlNode

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Looking at the API of the HAP, it looks like HtmlNode duplicates a lot of the methods of the framework-provided System.Xml.XmlNode. Is there a technical reason for this design decision?

There seems to be a need for a .NET version of HtmlUnit[1]; that is, a browser engine that executes HTML pages and allows a developer to interact with it programmatically, but does not render content to the screen. There are a couple of components required by such a project, among them an HTML parser and a JavaScript engine, and a way for the two to communicate. HAP provides a great implementation of an HTML parser, but lacks a JavaScript engine[2] and any user interaction API. In attempting to implement an W3C-compliant HTML DOM with the objects of the HAP, the HtmlNode object is lacking a few features from the spec. Given that System.Xml.XmlNode "implements the W3C Document Object Model (DOM) Level 1 Core and the Core DOM Level 2", it would seem a natural fit for this purpose. Rather than reinventing the wheel and manually converting every HtmlNode in the tree to an XmlNode (which is bound to be slow and error-prone), it would be easier if HtmlNode descended from XmlNode, if there's no technical reason for this design decision.

[1] Yes, I'm fully aware that one could use IKVM to run the HtmlUnit java code directly. This introduces dependencies I'd rather not take on, in addition to binding a project to a specific version of HtmlUnit.

[2] Jint (http://jint.codeplex.com) is my current candidate for a JavaScript engine for this project.